Sunday 22 April 2012

Day 1 - Dented, but not broken.

When we woke up this morning, the weather was like a fairy tale - grim. Well, i say when "we"woke up, but I should really say when I woke - it was a shared room night, and since I snore, Mike was probably awake all night anyway. The forecast has been for rain, and it certainly looked like it would be. As it happened, it was dry at St Bees and it has stayed dry and sunny all day. Beautiful, and unexpected.

 

Unexpected is the norm in the lake district. For example, there were many things I expected to see, and was looking forward to. Two birds having sex on the cliff top was not one of them, but fun nonetheless. The high point of the day, quite literally, was reaching the top of Dent hill. I was utterly knackered. From there, on a really clear day, you can see five kingdoms. England, Scotland, the isle of Man, Ireland, and the peak of Snowdon in Wales. Today we got three, maybe four. If getting up was hard, getting down again was no easier, the steepest path on the walk, apparently, but we made it, and I'm now comfortable ensconced in the Fox and Hounds in Ennerdale. It's a nice little pub, in which we have our second shared room of the walk. I have drawn the short straw (natch) so I have an air bed tonight. It's only fair, Mike isn't gonna get any sleep cos of the snoring, so he might as well be comfortable.

 

More tomorrow....

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. And if you tell Mike any of those little "noises" in the night are just air escaping from the airbed, then...... he just won't believe you!

    ReplyDelete