Saturday 21 April 2012

Day 0 - a Brough day.

It's day zero of the coast to coast walk, which means we've just driven the nearly three hundred miles from home to Kirkby Stephen. A remarkable journey, with no roadworks on any of the motorways, which has to be a first for me making this particular journey. Mike is in good spirits and still talking to me despite having been subjected to my iPod for most of the journey.

 

Mike's cheerfulness may be explained by our first little outing, to Brough Castle, wot is in the photo above. Not only does he like old ruins (just as well, because he's walking two hundred miles with one over the next two weeks) but also, there was an adjacent ice cream parlour. He had Crunchy flavour, because he is a wuss while I, the brave one, had a tub of "Sheep Poo". Which was nice.

 

Checked into the first of a series of bed and breakfast places we'll be sampling on our marathon. There are two other groups doing the same walk tomorrow, so we'll either have decent company, or have to run the first mile to escape!

 

I've reassessed the contents of the bag that will be ferried to each overnight stop because it was too heavy. Mike's raised eyebrows as I removed the vast stash of technology suggest that he may feel I've over prepared on that front, but I've always said you can't have too many battery chargers (actually, I don't have enough, since I have forgotten one of them!). Anyway, something had to go, and Mrs Grumbler won't believe this, but the casualties were In the sock department. I'll just have to get by on two pairs a day.

 

Off for a pint and some solids soon, and then up at the first fart of sparrow in the morning as we must breakfast and be at the pickup point for the bus to take us to St Bees by eight fifteen. 'net and weather willing, there will be some highlights and pics of day one's walking tomorrow evening.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment